Sunday, September 23, 2012

Spicy Chicken Skewers with Mango Tabbouleh and Glazed Japanese eggplant

Okay, second post. I made this last week, so I'm a little behind already. Good thing I don't cook every night because I'd be way too lazy to post that often. 

First up: Chicken Skewers with Tabbouleh. We added four or five small red chiles (they were tiny ones we got at the farmer's market that pack a lot of heat) to the marinade instead of one, and then we used spicy curry powder instead of regular. We like it hot. If you want it mild, stick to the original recipe. Also, we grilled the chicken on the BBQ rather than the oven. But be careful because it might cook faster this way. It did for us. Also, I couldn't find bulgur wheat, so substituted quinoa. It worked fine!

Glazed Japanese Eggplant. My Nana gave me this recipe and we make it all the time. I LOVE it. This time, we grilled the eggplant on the grill first which made it soft and allowed us to skip the step of cooking it with the water (plus gave it a nice BBQ taste). After grilling it for 10-12 minutes turning once, we just added the grilled eggplant to the pan with the sauce and cooked it for another 10 minutes on simmer. For the sauce, we added a couple of hot jalapenos (of course), and a few scoops (TBS) of peanut butter to give it a nice nutty flavor. Also, I like to blend the sauce in the food processor to save on having to chop a bunch of crap because I'm lazy. Also, make sure not to leave out the sesame oil-- it  gives it a great flavor. It came out REALLY spicy because of the extra hot jalapenos-- and it takes a lot for me to say something is spicy-- so proceed with care. 


And yes, that is food I've spilled on my recipes. Told you I was a disaster in the kitchen.

Enjoy, piggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment