Monday, October 8, 2012

Chinese Boneless Pork Ribs with Strawberry BBQ Sauce, Indian Spiced Winter Squash, Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage


Okay, so the ribs were actually supposed be baby back ribs, and the BBQ sauce was supposed to be Guava not Strawberry, but the boneless ribs were on sale and I couldn't find any guava paste. If you plan ahead, you can order it online..... but surprise surprise, I did not plan ahead and instead I got all experimental and substituted about 4 TBS of seedless strawberry jam for the guava paste. I didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did. Who would've thought strawberries can make good BBQ sauce-- but it was f-ing delicious. Also, because these were boneless ribs, I didn't follow the cooking directions on the recipe below. Instead, I put the ribs in a crock pot with a chopped onion, the spices and the sherry. I cooked them on low for about 5-6 hours. Then I followed the directions for the BBQ sauce: substituting the 4 TBS strawberry jam for the guava paste, and also adding 1 TBS molasses and 1 tsp spicy tamarind dipping sauce. I drained most of the liquid from the crock pot, added the BBQ sauce, and cooked the meat for another hour. So you can follow my recipe or the one below-- which I'm sure is good as well.

Next up: Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage. I love this recipe. No adjustments needed. Unless you want to add a few small red chiles for spice like I did. ;-)


Mashed Winter Squash with Indian Spices. This is my new favorite recipe for butternut squash. It's so fucking good I wanted to put my whole face in it and eat like "momma's little piggy piggy." And it's easy to boot! The only thing I changed was I added 3/4 tsp of Garam Masala to pump up the Indian spices. Seriously so good. Better than mashed potatoes. 


Eat up little piggies!



No comments:

Post a Comment