Monday, October 1, 2012

Tomato Buttermilk Soup with Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches

Tomato Buttermilk Soup: The soup is super refreshing served cold and does not require cooking-- though I ended up cooking mine for a bit because I opted not to put the tomato puree through a sieve and discard the liquid. It just seemed like way too much waste. As a result, it doubled the amount of tomato puree but made it a lot thinner. So I also doubled the buttermilk, and cooked it with some tomato paste and corn starch to thicken it up. I ended up adding another half cup of buttermilk afterward to make it creamier. I also added two roasted serranos for spice (I dry roasted them on the stove), and about eight cloves of roasted garlic (because I fucking love roasted garlic). I pureed them all together with the tomatoes. Finally, I added about a teaspoon of smoked paprika to the soup, to give it a smoky flavor, complementing the roasted garlic and serranos. All my tomatoes and herbs were fresh and organic from the farmers' market. The end result was delicious. Here's the original recipe:
Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches: This is my own invention. I used to make Chicken Cordon Bleu all the time, but this is easier, without having to roll the damn things up, which always proves tricky. Here's my recipe, but keep in mind I didn't measure so these are all guesstimates (also, this made sandwiches for all week, so if you want less, half it):

6 Chicken Breasts, sliced in half to make 12 thin breast filets
A loaf of bread (I used marbled rye from the farmers' market which was fabulous)
2 packages sliced Swiss cheese (or guyere)
Thinly sliced ham (or prosciutto if you don't mind spending a little more money)
10 oz baby spinach
Basil pesto to spread on bread
3 TBS fresh chopped rosemary
2 cups panko bread crumbs (I think)
1 cup flour (I think)
3/4 cup buttermilk (I think)
2 eggs
Oil for frying
Salt
Pepper

1.) Soak thinly sliced breasts in buttermilk, with a pinch of pepper and salt, for about a half hour.
2.) Mix bread crumbs, flour, rosemary, and more salt and pepper in medium bowl.
3.) Beat eggs and stir in to buttermilk and chicken.
4.) Heat oil to moderately high heat in skillet.
5.) Dredge chicken breasts in flour/breadcrumb/rosemary mixture to coat.
6.) Fry chicken in hot oil, 6-8 minutes per side or until deep golden brown.
7.) Remove chicken and dry on paper towel.
8.) Spread pesto on bread (and butter if you want), layer with ham and swiss, then toast in toaster oven or regular oven until cheese is melted and bread is crispy.
9.) Put chicken on top of bread, top with spinach, and second slice of bread (hell, you know how to make a sandwich right?)
tip: dip grilled sandwich in tomato soup. great combo.






No comments:

Post a Comment